"He who loveth a book will never want a faithful friend, a wholesome counselor, a cheerful companion, or an effectual comforter" Isaac Barrow

Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

A Gentle and Quiet Spirit

From my daily Bible reading this morning :
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
1 Peter 3:3-4

Why is it that when women get together, in person or on the phone, myself included, the talk immediately turns to gossip? I wish I could just control my tongue. Why is sarcasm so tempting? Why does our society see sarcasm as funny? I feel like it is so hard not to jump in when someone is gossiping, and before you know it, I'm doing it too. Anyway, that is my goal for the week, to really focus on having a Gentle and Quiet Spirit. To control my speech and not be negative or inflammatory. The main reason for wanting to change my ways is my girls. How can I expect them to behave kindly and respectfully when they overhear their own mother gossiping on the phone? Now that Molly is 13 I am seeing some of the fruits of this bearing out. Some good, some not so good.
God guard my heart and guard my mouth. let nothing come out of my mouth or into my heart that is not pleasing to you...


I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment