"He who loveth a book will never want a faithful friend, a wholesome counselor, a cheerful companion, or an effectual comforter" Isaac Barrow

Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What's it worth to you?

That is the question I was asking myself this morning. Math. Ugh, I wasn't that great in it in school, after middle school at least, so when I do Molly's math lesson with her, i have to really, really concentrate. OK, remember I have a three year old and a very loud 5 year old. Molly and I were learning how to get a percentage of a percentage. Now, you math whizzes out there, be quiet, I was struggling, that is why I have an instructors guide that teaches the instructor . Anyway, at the same time, (we homeschoolers juggle many things all day long), Sophia was working in her Singapore math textbook. I was helping her find different ways to add up to 10, which she had to record by writing equations. Such as 7 plus 2 plus 1 equals 10. No small task for her, since she tends to reverse numbers and then needs help writing them correctly. So, I'm juggling between the two of them, and along comes Benny. Benny usually is happy "working" at his desk in his "workbooks" while we do math, but today he would rather play with rice. Yes, a big bucket of rice I actually had in the homeschool room that I use when we learn measuring and estimation and all that jazz. He starts pouring out the rice into 3 different sized bowls, spooning it into cups and generally making a huge mess. He throws into the bucket some wooden alphabet letters,and some dice for good measure. Then he stirs and stirs. Rice is flying. The carpet is covered. Do I even react? Do I care? Nope, and I bet every homeschool mom out there knows what I'm talking about. We happily will pay a price (in my case a lot of vacuuming later today) in order to get the math, or whatever subject it is, in.

No comments:

Post a Comment